Territory » Tremosine sul Garda » Point of interest » Church of Pieve

CHURCH OF PIEVE

Churches at Tremosine sul Garda

ADDRESS
Piazza San Giovanni Battista, 2,


Around 1100 the ancient high-medieval chapel was demolished and a building dedicated to S. Maria was erected, of which today the bell tower and various walls of the rectory remain. Around 1570 the building was replaced with a new one, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, whose plan reflects the current, with the exclusion of the last two altars, dated 1642. Of particular value are the wooden works of Lucchini (presbytery) , organ, confessional, sacristy), the high altar inlaid by Domenico Corbarelli, the paintings of Francesco Barbieri called "lo Sfrisato", by Giovanbattista Aurera and Simone Brentana. At the beginning of Lent we can admire the "machine" of the triduum: a splendid wooden apparatus from the second half of the 18th century, which bears 365 candles lit during 3 days of prayer.

SHARE WITH:
inLombardia | Regione Lombardia