Territory » Toscolano Maderno » Point of interest » St. Andrew’s Cathedral

ST. ANDREW’S CATHEDRAL

Churches at Toscolano Maderno

ADDRESS
Piazza San Marco, 16,
Toscolano Maderno

St. Andrew’s cathedral probably built on an ancient pagan temple, using Roman ancient

stones, dates back to XII century. It’s one of the most important examples of Lombard Romanesque architecture with influences of Verona art style. The façade was built using

stones as well as a variety of polychromatic marbles giving an effect of brightness and

movement to the whole structure. The inside complex is divided into three naves by squarebasis

columns, decorated with beautiful capitelli with a great variety of figurative themes, typical the Romanesque style. In the Church you can admire a precious painting by Paolo Veronese representing a Madonna with the Child.

The cover with cross vaults in the aisles over the presbitery dates back to the XV century.

The beautiful oratory-crypt was closed in1580 and reopened in 1962. Untill 1825 Saint

Ercolano’s relics were kept in the crypt and then brought to the new cathedral, but the

sarcophagus remained here. The bell tower dates back to 1469.

SHARE WITH:
inLombardia | Regione Lombardia