Polpenazze del Garda is one of the central zones in the Valtenesi area and owes its fame to its historical characteristics. On an island situated at the centre of Lake Lucone (drained between the 15th and 18th century) the remains of a lake-dwelling village were found, demonstrating that the area was already inhabited in the Bronze Age by a population which lived from hunting and fishing. Fragments in the tower of Bottenago and the Church of San Pietro in Lucone testify to the passage of peoples such as the Celts, Etruscans and the Romans. Its name is thought to derive from the derogatory form of the Roman name Pomponius, Pomponocius. The people of Polpenazze were considered to be very determined, to the extent of being described as Polpenazze, warlike people, farmers. The statutes of the commune of Polpenazze, proposed by the residents, were approved by the assembly of 38 heads of families gathered together in the castle in 1454. Among famous people from the town, in addition to the Filippini family, we find Giovanni Omodeo, who implemented innovative reforms, creating an artificial lake, introducing the use of intensive cultivation and bringing the electricity supply and running water to the countryside.