It was built between 1525 and 1535 by Giulio Romano, commissioned by Federico II who wished for a stately suburban villa. The palace was built on the island called Tejeto: its name probably derives from the presence of small houses with straw roofs called “teze”.
The building is made up of four buildings set around a central yard and a spacious garden in the back delimited by a large exedra. Access is provided through a magnifi cent loggia overlooking the fi sh ponds. Inside the palazzo are some particularly striking rooms such as the Room of the Horses, the Chamber of Amor and Psyche and the well-known room of the Giants, with its illusionistic use of perspective and acoustic effects.