The complex consists of three sections: the Museum of “Corte Vecchia” (Old Court), the Castle of San Giorgio and the Museum of “Corte Nuova” (New Court). Offi cial residence of the Gonzaga family, rulers of Mantua from the early fourteenth to the beginning of the eighteenth century, the museum complex is home to the 15th century Pisanello’s Rooms and the 16th century “Studiolo” of Isabella d’Este , the “Apartment of Troy” by Giulio Romano , the complete cycle of tapestries woven after cartoons by Raphael and other extraordinary treasures. Inside the castle, built between 1390 and 1406, is the famous “Camera degli Sposi”, decorated by Andrea Mantegna between 1465 and 1474 at the behest of Marquis Ludovico II Gonzaga. Part of the complex is the Basilica of Santa Barbara wich still holds the famous organ by
Graziadio Antegnati (1565).