Designed by Leon Battista Alberti, its construction began in 1460 under the direction of Luca Fancelli and lasted many years. In 1925 it was restored and given the current staircases that lead down from the façade. Originally, however, its façade was characterized by fi ve doors above which were fi ve windows that now form the front part of the entrance. Once, the entrance (still visible today) was at the side. Today it is a War Memoria.