This theatre was designed by architect Antonio Galli Bibiena. It is one of the treasures of the
Baroque period with a rare bell-shaped ground plan. Created for scientifi c meetings and concerts,
just a few days after its opening on Dec. 3, 1769, it hosted a concert on Jan. 16, 1770 given by the 14-year-old Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, accompanied by his father Leopold who wrote a letter to his wife praising the wonderful place where their son had performed.
The theater is part of the wider complex of the Palazzo Accademico which houses the National Virgilian Academy, the oldest and most prestigious cultural institution in the city, in which there is a library, an archive and an interesting exhibition of surgical instruments of the eighteenth century.