The historical centre has its origins in the 16th Century with the interventions of Todeschini, the architect from Brescia. At the centre of the arcades is the palace of the Venetian superintendent, an unfinished work of Todeschini, while in the square stands the monument to the town patron St. Angela Merici, built in 1782. Along the lake there is a monument to General Achille Papa of Desenzano, by Giancarlo Maroni, the architect of D'Annunzio for the Vittoriale museum. In front stands the monument to the fallen of all wars, a modern work by Arnaldo Pomodoro. In Piazza Cappelletti is the monument dedicated to the martyrs of the Resistance. In Piazza Matteotti stands the monument to the High speed aviation division, looking towards the lake.