Territory » Brescia » Point of interest » Santa Giulia City Museum

SANTA GIULIA CITY MUSEUM

Museums at Brescia

The monastery of San Salvatore-Santa Giulia was founded by the Lombard king Desiderius and his wife Ansa in 753 A.D., in a very rich area archaeologically (Roman houses in the area of the monastery and in the garden of Santa Giulia). The later expansions have shaped the complex consisting of three cloisters, along with the crypt of San Salvatore, in the chapel of Santa Maria in Solario, the choir of the nuns and the church of Santa Giulia, completed in 1499. The monastery was suppressed in 1798 in accordance with revolutionary laws; subsequent recovery operations led to the rebirth of the complex and to the setting up of the City Museum. The museum visit traces the history and art of the Brescia area from prehistoric times to the Renaissance period.The complex of San Salvatore-Santa Giulia is included in UNESCO’s World Heritage List.

SHARE WITH:
inLombardia | Regione Lombardia