Territory » Brescia » Point of interest » Piazza della Vittoria

PIAZZA DELLA VITTORIA

Sites of interest at Brescia

Designed by the architect Marcello Piacentini and inaugurated in 1932, standing in place of the old medieval quarter knocked down in a major project to restore the city under the new fascist development plan. The square was influenced by the monumental neo-classicism of Piacentini who has managed to combine here classical elements like the arch, the tympanum, the architraved order, while maintaining a certain rigour and formal simplicity. The north side of the square is occupied by the Post Office building; to the west stands the 60 metres high Torrione; on the north-east corner facing the Quadriporticus, above which stands the entrance to the Torre della rivoluzione (Tower of the revolution) with the clock. The square was designed for large gatherings: which is why the Arengario was placed here, red porphyric stone pulpit of Tolmezzo adorned with bas-reliefs depicting scenes from the history of Brescia.

SHARE WITH:
inLombardia | Regione Lombardia