Territory » Brescia » Point of interest » Church of Santa Maria del Carmine

CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DEL CARMINE

Churches at Brescia

Great example of Gothic architecture in Brescia, the church was built between the years of 1429-1475 next to the convent of the Carmelites. Inside there are numerous works of art, including the "Crucifixion" fresco by Vincenzo Foppa; the 'Annunciation" by Pietro de Witte; the "Lamentation for Christ Dead", ten life-size statues in polychrome terracotta, and seventy-five wooden stalls arranged along the wall of the apse. Exiting from the back of the nave, you can access a courtyard that leads into a chapel with interesting frescoes from the around 1510 by Ferramola and Civerchio. Next to the church, in vicolo dell'Anguilla, there are three cloisters of the former Carmelite convent: The small, fifteenth century cloister , with round arches; the main cloister with a fountain in the middle from the sixteenth century; the south side opens up to the southern cloister of 1521, renovated in the eighteenth century.

SHARE WITH:
inLombardia | Regione Lombardia