The church of San Francesco was built between the years 1254-1265, with reference to a transitional style between Romanesque and Gothic: evidenced by the façade with gabled finish, the magnificent rose window and marble door. The interior is simple and severe. It has a basilica style with three naves. The pictorial decoration of this church is rich: a Deposition from the Giotto period; the table by Moretto Santa Margherita di Cortona with Saints Francis and Jerome; Visitation in the lunette, a fresco attributed to Francesco Prata da Caravaggio. Note also the fresco Pentecoste del Romanino on the fourth altar. In the presbytery the canvas of the Virgin enthroned with Child and Saints stands out, one of the early masterpieces of Romanino. The door at the back of the right aisle leads to the pretty cloister of the Virgin Mary and to the west lies the large cloister.