Territory » Brescia » Point of interest » Church of Saints Faustino and Giovita

CHURCH OF SAINTS FAUSTINO AND GIOVITA

Churches at Brescia

In 1622, Antonio and Domenico Comino built the present church dedicated to the patron saints of the city following the demolition of former religious buildings. The façade, richly decorated with marble, is considered to be the masterpiece of Bernardo Fedrighini. The interior is divided into three naves, with lateral chapels and frescoes, including notable ones in the presbytery by Girolamo Mengozzi Colonna and Gian Domenico Tiepolo, which tell of the appearance and the martyrdom of Saints Faustino and Giovita. Among the works of art in the church: the altar of the Cross, by Vantini, the altarpiece of the Adoration of the Child by Lattanzio Gambara, the high altar with the urn of the Patron Saints by Giovanni and Antonio Carra (1623) and the processional banner of the Scuola del Santissimo (School of the Blessed) by Girolamo Romanino. In other rectory, you can admire frescoes by Tiepolo and a Renaissance portal that leads into the eighteenth-century Abbot’s cloister.

SHARE WITH:
inLombardia | Regione Lombardia